Tel: +44 (0)1223 748242
Fax: +44 (0)1223 332662
Email: rsl21 at eng.cam.ac.uk
Professor of Mechanical Engineering
Head of the Mechanics, Materials and Design Division
- BSc, University of Leicester, 1978
- MSc, Cranfield Institute of Technology,1981
- PhD, Cranfield Institute of Technology, 1983
- 1984-1991 Lecturer in Structural Dynamics, Cranfield Institute of Technology
- 1991-1995 Senior Lecturer in Aerospace Structures, University of Southampton
- 1995-1998 Professor of Structural Dynamics, University of Southampton
- Fellow of the Acoustical Society of America
- Fellow of the Institute of Mathematics and Its Applications
- Member of the Royal Aeronautical Society
- Chartered Engineer
Research Group Affiliation:
Publications of particular interest:
- Structural dynamics of offshore, aerospace, and automotive systems
- Noise and vibration control
- Statistical energy analysis
- Elastic wave propagation in built-up structures
- The effect of uncertainties on system performance ("random structures")
- Full list of publications ....
- Langley, R. S. "A general derivation of the statistical energy analysis equations for coupled
dynamic systems". J. Sound and Vibration, 135, pp 499-608, 1989.
- Langley, R. S. "A survey of analysis methods for dynamic response." Prepared for the
Engineering Science Data Unit, 1996. Now ESDU Data Item 97033.
- Langley, R. S. "The response of two-dimensional periodic structures to impulsive point
loading". J. Sound and Vibration, 201, pp 235-253, 1997.
- Langley, R. S. and Bremner, P. G. "A hybrid method for the vibration analysis of complex
structural-acoustic systems. J. Acoustical Society of America, 105, pp 1657-1671,
- Langley, R. S. "A non-Poisson model for the vibration analysis of uncertain dynamic systems".
Proc. Roy. Soc., Series A, 455, pp 3325-3349, 1999.